Welsh Alliance Roundup – Matchday Eight

With fixtures in both the Lock Stock Cookson Cup and in the Welsh Alliance league, there was plenty to discuss in terms of action in the region this weekend.

With 67 goals scored over the cup and league fixtures, it was a weekend to remember in the Welsh Alliance league.


Llangefni Town 1-0 Llanrwst United

The league leaders made it 11 matches unbeaten as they edged past a stubborn Llanrwst United side in the League Cup. The hosts were forced to wait until the 52nd minute to break the deadlock, as Alan Mark Owen got the goal that sent the hosts through to the next round.

Llanberis 1-3 Bodedern Athletic

The visitors needed extra time to advance at the expense of a Llanberis side that were made to rue a number of missed opportunities. The hosts actually took the lead in the 51st minute, and were awarded a penalty just two minutes later, only for the chance to be missed, and Bodedern duly capitalised as they managed to find the equaliser. The extra half an hour proved to be the difference, as the visitors netted two to seal their place in the next round.

Llandyrnog United 1-2 Llanrug United

This closely fought contest was another fixture that had to be decided in extra time. The deadlock was broken in the 64th minute, when Scott Leonard opened the scoring for Llandyrnog, but the visitors managed to equalise with just three minutes of normal time remaining to force the match into extra time. The contest was then decided with just a minute to go, as Llanrug player-manager David Noel Williams netted to send the visitors through into the next round.

READ  Sean Eardley ready for tough Airbus test
Penrhyndeudraeth 9-4 Mynydd Llandegai

In what was a highly entertaining match, the hosts managed to book their place in the next round by winning 9-4 in extra time. Penrhyndeudraeth looked set to win 4-3, but Mynydd Llandegai managed to find a 90th minute equaliser to send the tie into extra time. However, the momentum was still with the hosts, and they ran riot in extra time, netting 5 goals to send the visitors crashing out of the Cup, despite a very admirable performance. Both Meilir Williams and Steven Jones impressed for the hosts as they both bagged a hat-trick to help seal the win.

Prestatyn Sports 0-2 Nantlle Vale

The visitors progressed into the next round following a 2-0 victory over Prestatyn Sports at the Gronant Playing Fields. Rhys Williams opened the scoring for Nantlle Vale in the 70th minute, before Daniel Evans added a second with six minutes remaining.

St Asaph City 2-6 Greenfield

Leon Sumner was the star of the show as his hat-trick helped Greenfield progress into the next round. St Asaph started the better of the teams, breaking the deadlock, before the visitors began to run riot, ending up as comfortable winners.


Blaenau Amateurs 2-0 Pentraeth

Goals from Shaun Roberts and Tom Hughes were enough to help the league leaders get the three points to go eight points clear at the top of the table. Pentraeth meanwhile drop down to eighth in the table following the disappointing result which ends the recent unbeaten run of form the side had put together.

READ  Guilsfield boss Leonard hopeful of continuing good start
Amlwch Town 0-7 Kinmel Bay

With the club rooted to the bottom of the league, the hosts were hoping to begin a change in fortunes with a good result, but it wasn’t to be as Amlwch Town lost 7-0 to Kinmel Bay at Lon Bach. Jordan Worthington, Gygorgy Szabo and Kieran Ellis all netted twice for the visitors, with Jack Wilkins adding a solitary goal as Kinmel Bay ran rampant.

Gaerwen 2-2 Penmaenmawr Phoenix

It was a close fought match at Lon Groes, as both teams could only be separated by goal difference prior to the match. Penmaenmawr’s Tom Prince opened the scoring in the 15th minute, only for the home side to get back on level terms 10 minutes later through Andrew Wannup. After the break, it was Penmaenmawr who broke the deadlock again, as Ben Lumstram netted in the 68th minute. It remained 2-1 to the visitors, who were closing in on their first away win of the season, only for Paul Bryant to equalise for the hosts with five minutes remaining.

Llannefydd 0-1 Aberffraw

A solitary goal was the difference as Aberffraw got back to winning ways after a defeat in their last match against Pentraeth. The only goal of the game came in the 85th minute, when midfielder Ieuan Lloyd netted to win the three points for the visitors. With the win, Aberffraw jump up to seventh in the table, just three points behind Llannefydd.

Meliden 0-7 Pwllheli

Jake Jones was the star of the show as Pwllheli put out a statement of intent with this crushing display against a Meliden side that are in a poor run of form currently. Having only played three  matches prior to this match, the visitors were still somewhat of an unknown quantity this season, but with an eye-catching performance like this, they are guaranteed to have a number of clubs above them in the table fearful of their potential this season. Jake Jones netted three times, with Mike Jones, Gwyn Williams, Carl Jones and Mike Williams all adding strikes to make the result even more emphatic.

READ  Cardiff Metropolitan University re-instate Dr Christian Edwards as First Team Manager
Mochdre Sports 0-8 Holyhead Town

A hat-trick from Asa Thomas and a brace from fellow striker Gary John Owen helped inspire Holyhead to a resounding 8-0 victory against struggling Mochdre Sports. Joe Donavan, Shaun Davies and Luke Roberts were also on the scoresheet as Holyhead jumped up to ninth in the table.

Felinheli 4-1 Llannerchymedd

Very much a game of two halves, the visitors opened the scoring in the 44th minute through Robert Jones. The hosts came back after half time though, with goals from Griff John, Owain Emyr Roberts and a brace from Iwan Owen lifting the in-form Felinheli up to second in the league. Llannerchymedd meanwhile drop to sixth.


Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.